Wednesday, September 7, 2011

ALASKA!

Ok, I have been wanting to blog about our trip but I have been waiting for MORE photos. We took some and my Dad did too, and of course I like his better - but they aren't HERE yet!!!
I figure I need to go ahead and post anyway because there are other things I want to get to. So....
ALASKA: AWESOME!
We embarked on our adventure via a Royal Caribbean cruise ship. That was something I vowed to Jon I would NEVER do. The idea just did not appeal to me at all.  Being trapped at sea with no visibility of Terra Firma was terrifying to say the least. But my Dad asked if we would join them so of course I could not tell him "No". So all aboard we went with my children tethered to my side (Moira is fearless and a climber. Not a good combination.)
As the trip progressed, I relaxed a little more. It was easy too once I saw what an absolute BLAST my kids were having. They, by far, had the most fun of anyone else on that ship. (Don't call it a boat - Carter WILL correct you!)
We took in as many sites as we could in Juneau, Skagway, and Victoria, B.C. (anything to get me off that ship and on dry (stationary) land!). The kids enjoyed whale watching the best for sure. We got to see several orcas, humpback whales and even a few sea lions. We also took a beautiful train ride, which was an amazing way to view the landscape. Jon and I hiked with my sisters in the rain forest. The kids hiked a bit too. In Victoria we got brave and did a zip line. Of course, Jon and I were already pros from our trip earlier this summer, but we had a lot of fun.
Enjoy the pics. When more come in, I will try to be good about posting them. ;-)

Hanging out on the ship






 Packed and ready for our whale watching/rain forest hike adventure!


That was our whale watching boat. You thought I was nervous about the cruise ship??? Those windows swing open so you can hang out of them to get close and personal with nature...or your Maker.

That was the last moment she sat still the rest of the tour. She spent the rest of the time hanging out the aforementioned windows.



Carter is parking the boat.

Captain Carter!

Hiking in the rain forest. It was a little rainy. The kids were AWESOME!

Glacier. Global  warming is REAL people!

Train ride. It was truly more beautiful than words and photos could convey. It literally brought tears to my eyes.





The family wanted to celebrate Carter's birthday with him one month early. He did not object!


This is as graceful as I get folks.


It was an amazing trip. I'm not saying I want to do it again next year, but we had an amazing time. THANK YOU!!! ;-)

No comments: